Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Binky Dilemma

So, a while back, I posted about Jackson's sleeping habits. How he isn't a cuddly baby, and missing his nap during church is a tough one - and how he doesn't take a binky. Anyway - Jackson has been trying to cut one if his bottom middle teeth for the past two week or so. I can feel it just under the surface, but it just won't pop through. The other day, he was so fussy, pulling at his ears and chewing on everything in sight. He was laying on the changing table and I remembered that the binkies were in the drawer and handed him one. He basically just started knawing on it and rubbing it over his gums, so I let him keep a hold of it when I put him in his crib for his nap. He fell asleep very quickly, and when I checked on him, that binky was in his mouth and he was sucking away!
So, the next Sunday, I brought a binky with me to church. When Jackson started showing signs of being tired, I layed him down in my arms, hugged him tight and gave him the binky. It only took about 5 minutes, and he was out! I didn't even have to get up out of the pew and bounce him around for 20 minutes, like I normally do. It was awesome! And - it worked the next Sunday as well!!! I loved it! I was actually able to sit thru Sacrament meeting, and Jackson got a pretty good nap!
So, my dilemma - everyone says I'm lucky that my boys haven't ever been interested in binkies, because it's a hard habit to break. Am I just asking for it by introducing a binky to Jackson now, when he hasn't needed it in the past? What's a mom to do?

9 comments:

beth said...

i say take advantage that he likes the binky for now, and that it will give you several weeks or months of enjoyable church and sleeping experiences. then in about six months or so, take it away. it'll maybe be a day or two of fussing, but it's worth the months of joy until then. rachel was barely phased when i took hers away last week.

Shay said...

go for the binky. all three of my boys took binkies and getting rid of them wasn't that big of a deal (all between 2 and 3 yrs old). the binky offers peace. take it!

The Conrad Family said...

Binky breaking is not that bad!! It usually is only rough for a day or two. Maybe it is the lazy mom in me but I say if it works then go for it!

Kristin said...

Tough call. Our Pediatrician was a big binky fan, she said there are studies on brain activity and it was found that in children under a certain age the sucking produces endorphins that are very soothing. I think that better than Tylenol for his aching gums.
The boys actually gave them up on their own with no fight, they just didn't want it anymore, so you might be lucky.

Sarah Ragatz said...

Clara loves her pacifier. It makes her happy when she is sad. Thus, it makes me happy. Emmalynne never took one so I don't know how it'll be breaking Clara of it later. I've heard horror stories too. At the same time, Mark & Frani had an extemely hard time breaking Chloe of hers when she was about 2. So one weekend when they were having me babysit and I took them away. She only fussed the first night. When Mark & Frani got back it was smooth sailing. So, if all else fails, I'll fly in to watch Jackson for the weekend!

Tammy said...

Thanks for all the good advice! Adam was not a binky baby, so I have no idea what to expect - but I'm going to run with the binky and let Jackson have it. Hopefully he will not be 4 years old and still sucking on that thing!!

Tammy said...

Oh - and Sarah - I may just take you up on that, so start saving your pennies!

Laura D said...

Zach and Megan liked their binkies. But they both gave them up befor a year. Maybe they use it until they don't need it. Maybe Jackson will only need it until he is done teething. If not when he is older and you want to break the habbit you can ask us all what to do and we can all give you tons of advice. I am sure onw of will have a thought that will work for him and you! Go for the binky! Nothing like a happy mom! (baby)

The Lassen Family said...

Becca didn't take one, but Jakob was a binky baby all the way (and a much happier baby)
I say use it and abuse it!! Until he is asking for it coherently, then it is time for it to go away--nothing worse than a toddler trying to talk around his binky--or not talking at all because of it. I told Jakob his binky was smelly and needed to go in the trashcan, he threw it away and that was that--he was about 2 ish