Wednesday, September 7, 2011

School Days! School Days!!

I'm finding it hard to believe that my Adam has started school!  It doesn't seem like he's old enough!  School actually started the Wednesday after Labor day this year.  On Tuesday, they had "Meet the Teacher", so Adam and I walked over to the school with all his school supplies to meet his teacher.  Prior to school starting there was a lot of juggling of Adam's schedule.  When I originally registered him, we choose to do full time Kindergarten - so all day, every day.  The part time program was being run full days Tuesday, Thursday and every other Friday - not an ideal schedule and the plan was that I would be working through out the school year.  So even though we had to pay for it, it was still cheaper than day care for the part time program.  Then, in March, we found out I was pregnant - and we found out the school district had changed the part time program from full day every other day, to half day every day (which we much preferred).  I would be home for a good part of the school year, and we decided it would be better to save money and not pay for full time, so I pulled him out and registered him for the morning Kindergarten class.  As August rolled around, we refined our schedules and figured out that it would be better for Adam to go in the afternoons, so when I got a call from the school secretary asking if we still wanted mornings, I said that we would rather have afternoons, so they moved him again.  Then, just a few days before school was supposed to start, I got another call from the school secretary.  She said that they were trying to move some kids out of the part time program because they were over-enrolled, and asked if we would go back to the full time program if they offered us a full scholorship.  I was shocked!  I think I asked her about 12 times if we would have to qualify for the scholorship (because I knew we wouldn't), and she told me repeatedly that we wouldn't.  They were calling all the kids that pulled out of the full time program and offering them scholorships because the part time program had 11 extra kids in it.  So, Adam was back to full day, every day Kindergarten.  I was a little concerned about how he would handle it - he was having a hard time through out the summer with seperation anxiety again (I'm not sure if it's because of the baby or just a phase), but I was worreid that 7 hours of school every day would push him over the edge, but after talking about it, and praying about it, we went for it.  It was a little weird to think that everything was settled and then have it change again and again!  But, but meet the teacher day, everything was set - he was scheduled for full time Kindergarten!
Here's Adam sitting at his desk at Meet the Teacher.  It was nice to be able to go into the classroom with him, find his desk and his cubby and meet his teacher.  I love his big smile!
 Here's his name on his desk...

 And this is Adam with his teacher - Mrs. Dumo. 
 The next day was the big day!  First day of school!  Daddy went to work late, so we all got ready and walked Adam to school together. 
 First day of school picture!
 They had all the kids go to the gym at the school to line up with their class.  It was pretty chaotic!  Here's Adam standing in line ready to go in.  It seems like they stood there forever!
 He started out pretty happy and ready to go!
 But the longer they stood there waiting, the harder it got.  The principal asked all the parents to leave their children and move to the front of the gym.  As we stood there, I looked over at Adam and he was in tears.  I felt so bad for him (I will admit that I was crying too, but I was trying really hard to not show him that!)  I went back over and gave him a big hug and told him how proud I was of him.  He did finally calm down, and was ready to go when the principal called for Mrs. Dumo's class to walk to their classroom.  I got stuck in the crowd of parents with Jackson's stroller, so I didn't make it outside, but Scott did and got a few pictures of him walking to his class.


He walked right past Scott, gave him a high-five and right into his classroom with all the other kids.  At the end of the day when I picked him up, he was all smiles!  I asked him what he did, and he said "played outside at recess".  I asked what his favorite part of the day was, and he said "recess".  Oh well, maybe he'll enjoy something else besides recess some time.  Can't believe my guy is in Kindergarten!!!

1 comment:

Laura D said...

Jared and Zach still say recess is the best class of the day and they both try to get double P.E for a class!