Friday, April 23, 2010

"I'm nervous"

I'm a bit behind in my blogging efforts - I have the rest of our trip to Vancouver and of course, Jackson's 7 month update - but I had to blog about a conversation I had with Adam yesterday before I forget. We were driving home from dropping off dinner to a friend who had just had a baby, and Adam started talking about school. It took me awhile to figure out that he was actually talking about elementary school and not the preschool that we are doing this year. Suddenly he said "Mom, I'm nervous!" I asked him why he was nervous and he said he was nervous to go to Wyatt's school and ride the school bus. I have no idea where this came from!! He did play with his friend Wyatt for a little bit on Monday while I was teaching a piano lesson to Wyatt's sister, but I don't remember any conversation about school. We had picked Wyatt up from school several weeks ago, well over a month ago! Who knows what triggered him thinking about Wyatt's school.
So, we talked about what Wyatt does at school - learns about letters and numbers, plays with his friends, colors, plays outside (Adam asked several times to make sure he got to play outside), and lots of others things. Adam asked me when he would get to go to "Wyatt's school" and I tried to explain to him that he still had a long time before he would go. He will be 5 in the fall, but his birthday is after the cut-off, so he won't start school until just before he turns 6. Then he asked me if I would be at school with him, and I told him that I would walk to school with him, but that I couldn't stay, but he would have friends there like Xander (our neighbor). This seemed to make him feel better. This conversation continued the whole ride home. After I opened his door so he could climb out of the car, he came over and gave me a hug and said, "thanks mom for helping me not be nervous" and walked inside!
I love that kid!!

No comments: