Sunday, December 12, 2010

First Talk

Adam FINALLY got to give a talk at church on Sunday.  This kid has been waiting and waiting!!  He's been wanting to give a talk for SO long!  I guess that's what happens when you are in a ward with a large Primary.  He's read a scripture a few times and even said a prayer, but that darn talk just never came along.  I was actually subbing in his Primary class the Sunday that he was asked.  It's cute the way they ask kids to do stuff in our ward - they have a cute mailbox, and every week at the end of opening excercises, they open the mailbox and the kids who are being asked to do something the next week get to come up and they tape the paper around their wrist.  When they called Adam's name, he jumped right up and ran to the front of the chapel with a huge grin on his face!  I don't think I've ever seen him so excited!
The theme for his talk was "I Know That My Redeemer Lives".  Here's his talk:
After Jesus was resurrected, He went to see his disciples. One of them named Thomas was not with them. The other disciples told Thomas they had seen Jesus. But Thomas didn’t believe them. He said he didn’t think Jesus was alive because he couldn’t see him or touch him.
Eight days later Thomas did see Jesus. Jesus let him feel the nail prints in his hands and touch his side. Then Thomas knew that Jesus was alive. Jesus said, “Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed” (John 20:29).
I have not seen Jesus, but I know that He lives. I know that He will come to earth again, and that we can live with Him.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Adam did such a great job!  I was helping him remember what he was supposed to say, and after he said Amen, he leaned over and asked, "can I say something else mom?"  I told him he could, and he told all the kids about burning his leg on his dad's motorcycle, and how it hurt really bad and his dad had to cut off some of his skin that got burned.  Then he talked about how he prayed and Jesus blessed him so that his leg healed and didn't hurt him too bad, and that he has a testimony that Jesus will help us.  Then he looked at me again and whispered "can I tell another story, mom?"  I finally convinced him that it was the other kids turn to come up and talk, and got him to say Amen again and go back to his seat.
I was so proud of him! It was funny to hear his response when someone told him that he did a good job on his talk.  He would just look at them and say, "I know".  He gets his humility from his dad...

2 comments:

The Conrad Family said...

I wish I could have heard that talk! I bet it was wonderful! Tell Adam we are proud of him! What a great testimony he already has!

Sarah Ragatz said...

I LOVE that he shared his own story. At first I thought it was just funny that he wanted to tell a story about dads motorcycle. But then when it was about Jesus, it was sweet. And I'd have to agree on where he gets his humility... :)