Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We have a One-Year Old

I'm amazed that Jackson is a year old.  This little guy is such a joy!  I can't imagine our family without him now!  I'm also amazed when I look back at pictures.  I can't believe that this little guy (born at 9 lbs, 2 oz)...
 Has become this guy.  So much growing in a year!
Here are the statistics from his one year check up:  Weight: 28lbs, 5 oz. (off the charts), height: 32 3/4 inches (off the charts).  He is officially a monster!  I like to compare his size to Adam's at the same age.  Adam was 26 pounds even and 32 inches tall at one year.  I think Adam better watch out!  Jackson is going to be bigger!!  I took both the boys in for their checkups at the same time.  We had a new nurse who hadn't seen us before, and she was so fun!  She has two boys as well.  She told me her youngest was Jackson's size at age one.  He is now 18 years old and is 6 feet 3 inches and 240 pounds!  Her oldest is smaller, but age 21 he is 6 feet even and weighs 210.  I think Scott may need to get a second job!  How are we going to afford feeding these giant kids of ours???  It's funny that I get asked all the time if my husband is really tall.  Everyone is surprised when I tell them he is 5'11" or so.  There must be tall genes somewhere!
Anyway - we had so much fun celebrating Jackson's first birthday.  We celebrated with my family a little early.  We celebrated all the September birthdays (Hyrum, Adam and Jackson) together.  Jackson had his first taste of opening presents.  He did pretty good, but lost interest pretty quick.  Adam, or course, was happy to help him out!
 On his actual birthday, we had our neighbors join us for ice cream and cake.  They also helped Jackson open a few more presents.  We are so lucky to have wonderful neighbors!  Jackson seemed more intersted in the wrapping paper than the presents.
 He wasn't sure about the whole candle on the cake.  Adam helped him blow the candle out!  Big brothers are great!
 He didn't have any trouble enjoying the cake! (This picture is from the family party.  He didn't make much of a mess on his birthday!)
 Scott and I got Jackson this fun Buzz Lightyear ride on toy.  Jackson loves to push it around the house and bang it into everything!  He often has to fight Adam for it because it is very cool and has lots of buttons to push and a laser gun to shoot.  It's fun to watch him play with it.  Once in awhile, he'll climb on the seat and sit there and grunt until someone comes over to push him around.  Funny kid!
 Jackson is truely such a joy!  Here are a few things I want to remember about him at a year old:
  • Cute thing that Jackson does:  when he's drinking a bottle, or getting tired, he starts pulling on his ears.  I was paranoid all summer that he had an ear infection, but everytime I had someone look at his ears, they were always pink and healthy.  He also likes to pull on other people's ears (especially daddy's!)  I guess he just has an ear fettish.  I think I'm getting used to it and don't automatically start worrying. Of course, he'll probably get an ear infection this winter and I won't think anything of the ear pulling and he'll have to suffer through it!
  • Everyone calls Jackson "baby Jackson" or just "baby".  Hopefully this will end as he gets older, but we've always called him "baby Jackson" since we decided on his name when I was still pregnant.  Even our neighbors call him baby Jackson.  I know I should stop, but it's so cute to hear Adam call him "baby"!  Maybe we should change his name to BJ.
  • Jackson only has 5 teeth at a year old. Two middle teeth on the top and three on the bottom.  I've been able to feel the 4th on the bottom and the two on each side of the top for close to a month now.  Not sure whats taking them so long to pop through.  
  • Jackson has this cute little "stink face" when he's starting to get upset.  He krinkles up his nose and opens his mouth, and I can't help but laugh every time he does it.  I need to try and get a picture because it's just so darn cute!
  • Jackson is such a tease!  His favorite person to tease is his daddy!  His does this best while giving hugs and kisses.  When daddy asks for a kiss and anyone else is around, Jackson will look at daddy and lean in for a kiss, and then quickly turn to the other person and give them a kiss!  Then he looks back at Scott and gives him this cute "gotcha" smile!  So hilarious!  His personality is really starting to bloom!
  • Jackson's favorite person - DADAM!!!  That's not a typo - that's how Jackson says his brothers name and it's so fun to hear.  If Jackson does something that makes Adam laugh, he will do it over and over while watching Adam to make sure he's still laughing. 
  • Favorite foods:  He's a great eater, but some of his favorites are - green beans and peas, spaghetti (just like his brother), berries, pancakes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grilled cheese, and anything chocolate or sweet!
  • Favorite things to do: watch big brother, listen to music and dance (he bounces up and down and waves his hands around anytime he hears music), wrestle with daddy, tackle big brother, climb the stairs, walk around pushing his buzz car or walker toy and sleep!
  • Jackson LOVES his sleep!  I don't think I have EVER rocked this guy to sleep!  Since he was about 3 of 4 months old, we've just put him in his crib for naps or bedtime and he lays there until he goes to sleep.  He has never cried or fussed.  We often don't even know when he wakes up in the morning, becuase he'll just quietly play in his crib, not making much noise.  I'll go in and check on him and find that he's awake.  When he's getting tired, he'll point you to his room and grab onto his crib and fuss until he's laid down.  I wonder if he'll continue to be so good at going to bed?
I could go on and on about this guy!  I just love him to pieces!  I'm amazed at how much room my heart has to love these boys in my life!  I always wanted to be a mom, but never imagined how truely amazing and fulfilling it could be!  I am awed at the responsibility it is to raise these future priesthood holders and pray every day for the guideance that is necessary.  I also thank my Father in Heaven for this great blessing to be a mother and especially for this little boy and his big brother.  I am so blessed!

No comments: