Tuesday, November 2, 2010

He just sits in his chair, and listens for the bell to ring

Adam had a bit of a rocky start to preschool this year.  I'm not sure if it was just a new place and not knowing anyone, or the crazy new routine, but the first couple of weeks, he did not like going to school!  It was tough to drop him off, and on Thursdays, when I was there (he goes to a co-op preschool, so I work once a week), he spent most of the time glued to my side.  Well - things have changed, and now the first thing he asks every morning is 1. what day is it? and 2. is it a school day?  He is very sad when he doesn't get to go to school.  I may have to figure out how to send him to school everyday next year (our school district recently changed so that part-time kindergarten is Tuesday, Thursday and every other Friday - weird, I know!)
Anyway - on the way to preschool yesterday, Adam and I had the following conversation:
Adam: "Mom, I love my school!"
Me: "I'm so glad you like school buddy."
Adam: "You know at Wyatt's school - he just sits in his chair and listen for the bell to ring.  Then he can go outside, and listen for the bell to ring again."  (Wyatt is his friend who is in 1st grade)
Me: "Oh, well - what does he do when he sits in his chair."
Adam: "He just listens for the bell - and he does homework."
Me: "He doesn't get to paint or play with toys or anything?"
Adam: "No, he just sits in his chair.  That's why I like my school - we do fun things!"
Me:  "Did Wyatt tell you about his school?"
Adam: "No, I'm just smart."

Hopefully things are little more active by the time Adam reaches 1st grade!

No comments: