Friday, February 10, 2012

Adam's first report card

Adam brought home his first report card this week.  I want to record the comments his teacher made about him:
"Adam is such a sweetheard and I'm so happy to have him in my class this year.  He is one of the kindest and most calm boys I have ever had and sets a good example for other studens.  Even though Adam is on the shy side, he is making friends and plays with boys and girls.  I want to make sure he is feeling comfortable and safe at school.  He is often timid when asking questions and making decisions throughout the day.  When there is free choide time, most kids will quickly choose their favorite activity and begin playing.  I often see Adam wandering the room looking confused or unsure of what to do.  I wonder if he just has a hard time making a decision??  Academically, Adam is making some progress.  It's slow but steady.  He frequently gets 'E' and 'F' mixed up as well as 'b' and 'd'.  (very common) He is learning many of the sight words we have worked on, but still needs some extra practice.  I think a lot of Adam's problem to move forward so to speak is his confidence in himself.  He seems so unsure even when he know the answer.  I think the lack of confidence holds him back a little.  He knows most of the sounds and can usually figure out how to spell something (phonetically) if an adult helps him one on one.  If I walk away he often has a much harder time and often doesn't push himself.  Adam seems to enjoy coming up and reading in his guided reading group.  We are working on sight word recognition and decoding words. 
Adam is a great kid!  I look forward to watching him progress throughout the remainder of the school year."

I really love Adam's teacher, and have enjoyed being able to volunteer in the classroom again.  I can't believe his Kindergarten year is half way over!

1 comment:

The Conrad Family said...

Adam really is a great kid!! I can't wait to see how much he learns during the last half of the year! He is one smart cookie!!